Monday, September 14, 2009

Stay or go?


When I took the blogging class taught by Alyson Stanfield this summer we had an assignment to write a list of future topics to blog about. I tried to look forward and see what issues I would be facing as the months rolled by. To stay or to go from my public studio was a topic I listed. I am at that point now. I have stewed over this and come to the conclusion that it is better to move back to my home studio. I have learned so much being in the public space with other artists. I have also learned my audience is in a different part of the city. The drive to the small town is more than many are able to schedule in their days with children and full calendars. I understand it is a fun destination for a day trip, but a drop-in on the spur of the moment is not possible for my clients who live at least 30 minutes and a freeway away. At the end of the month I will pack up my supplies, furniture, and paintings and come home. It will be a sad time to leave great people and a little town trying so hard to become an artist community. It will also be possible to refocus on one workspace, my on-line presence, and the quiet of my empty nest.

2 comments:

  1. That must have been a hard decision but it sounds like you gave it a lot of thought and it feels right to you.
    I look forward to seeing what comes out of this time you will have to regroup and refocus. Sounds like the perfect time to do this!
    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth: Good luck with your move. It seems like you had a hard decision to make, but it also sounds like you know your market and your home studio space will reap rewards for you as well.

    ReplyDelete