Monday, September 21, 2009

Run Sandhill Run!


I was reading an article in the Orlando Sentinel today. It seems not only do we have Burmese Pythons running/slithering wild in the state, we now have African Rock Pythons. They are typically only 16 feet long, but can grow to 20 feet. They will feed in Florida on raccoons and among other things water birds. Here is one of our local birds, the sandhill crane. I can't say they are water birds, but they are natives here. Usually seen in pairs or in families with one or two children. I often see them in nearby pastures, but have seen them on neutral grounds on busy streets and one family frequented our bank. Hope they are watching out for those pesky pythons.

2 comments:

  1. Love this guy!

    Go to my blog to see my wild birds. Some of them are only seen in my immediate vicinity, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    At our old office, they would loiter the parking lot-- we knew someone was feeding them! Someone in our office went to get a haircut around the corner, and the place left the front and back door open to air out-- they'd just walk through (eyeing up the clients for snack offerings on their way). We'd watch each generation grow up each year. Really amazing creatures, and BTW a really great painting! Truly fascinating birds..

    ReplyDelete