Monday, February 13, 2012

Saturated Local Color

Oil painting class is continuing at the beautiful Callanwolde with patient and talented instructor Pat Hobaugh. Over the last two weeks we painted our still lives as value studies. As you can see my rooster has a sepia toned Depression era look about him.

The following week we applied "local color" in a flat wash over the painting.
If you have followed my blog for a time you know I like color. My rooster has taken on a Wizard of Oz, Somewhere Over the Rainbow appearance with his saturated colors.

The lady who sits next to me, Tariqa Waters, is a wonderful artist. She has chosen a different perspective on the flowers, rooster, and "what-not" sitting on display for our artistic endeavors. Here is her value study:
Now, with local color added.
She has chosen a more muted palette than I.
We were all hesitant to add color, being pretty pleased with our tonal studies. It was a leap to just add color. Later this week we will add details and enhance the light and dark.
Stay tuned for more as our paintings progress.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I like it both ways - it's wonderful as values and the colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete