Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It Takes 21 Days to Build a Habit

Oh the places I've been on this journey.

This journey has been 21 days of building a studio practice. I am on day 18, but feel the need to share where I started and where I have wound up.

I have mentioned my friend Hannah several times in this blog. She is one of six art therapists from around the world teaching a workshop on line. Her class has been about establishing a habit in the studio. It takes 21 days to set a habit in place.

I needed a theme to begin.

I chose organic.

What did I have that was organic?

An onion from the garden.

This is where I began.
My intention was a lovely pen and ink of something from my garden. The onions grew legs and hands and faces and feet.

I was quite upset about this turn of events. Hannah reassured me that this was my unique voice and she could never in a million years put feet on an onion. Sigh.

Not to be swayed I soldiered on.

Reflect upon the work of another artist. I had checked out a book on Whistler.  I enjoyed his Symphony in White No. 1. This is a beautiful portrait.



I tried the Symphony in White No. 1 with a concerto in pastels on a brown paper bag. A feline arrangement.


From there I was to work in a sequence. I could only think of cartoons in their nice neat little boxes. I was stressing once again on how to do this. I jumped in with a square piece of cardboard and my trusty masa paper.


I am not sure where this will lead except through the studio door for more experimentation. I am not prone to experimentation. This workshop has gotten me over some hurdles into new territory. A daily practice is picking up where my daily diaries left off many years ago. As a child they all began, Dear Sarah, to my imaginary friend.


6 comments:

  1. I love the work you shared here and I commend you on your courage to take this journey! Congratulations! It's overused, but remember - it's the journey not the destination! Have fun with it! (I love the onions by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day 18?!! Cause for celebration indeed. Thanks for sharing your venture into new territory....even if you didn't go willingly. Great variety in the images you shared. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dianne and MK for the encouragement. It has been a lot of fun and I look forward now to each minute in the studio. I think Hannah's workshop unlocked the studio door. Stay cool my friends, of course you already are:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feeling's mutual Beth. I don't think I would have put the watercolors together in a collage with the squares of text without your encouragement. So much fun to see those onions run!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for share that blog. many website provide free graphic design and Paint tool sai mac tool. anybody learn easy that tool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cat. It looks focused, but phlegmatic at the same time. Wonderful balance of colors evokes natural warm feelings.

    ReplyDelete