Monday, February 27, 2012

Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and Milton the Rooster

Progress is being made on my rooster painting. It has slowed as the details require more time than large swaths of color. The flower in the upper portion of the canvas is taking on its true color of purple as Milton's feathers become thicker and have more luster.

This past weekend I attended the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Conference here in Atlanta. I learned so many new things and met lots of wonderful people.

Before going to fill my brain and heart with inspiration I put together a display with new postcards and business cards. I found a small suitcase to use as a base. In years past when we lived in Texas I was a faux finish artist. So reverting to that time I applied a crackle finish and several layers of paint to gain a leather look for my valise, isn't that a wonderful word? Valise. Some little risers and fabric covers were inserted and voila! My display...


I listened to presentations by:
The adorable and brilliant author Kirby Larsen. She traveled from Washington state to share advice, memories and a collection of quotes she had found inspiring. Kirby is a Newberry Honor Book winner for Hattie Big Sky.
Senior Editors Greg Ferguson of Egmont USA and
Kristen Daly Rens of Harper Collins/Balzer and Bray
advised us on everything from plot to covers to writing a thriller for young adults.
Mary Kole, an agent with Andrea Brown authors a blog entitled Kidlit.com. She was sparky and honest and a great dose of reality for all.
The author of the Owly series, Andy Runton, discussed his process of creating picture books and comics. He also included some nuts and bolts words on selling and finding money to print his graphic novels. Andy was the adviser who did my portfolio critique. He was kind and made good suggestions on adding depth to some paintings and illustrating a book for practice.

I have a critique group in the making, my marching orders and wonderful memories. That is all and more than I could have asked for.

1 comment: